Professional dental cleanings are beneficial and important appointments that are vital in having a successful and healthy smile. During your cleaning, you can expect the following steps:
1. Deep Cleaning: After you are welcomed to our practice, our hygienist will guide you through our office and into a comfortable dental chair. Then, your hygienist will remove the plaque from your teeth with a small dental tool. This process will involve small amounts of pressure and it will reduce the risks associated with periodontal disease.
2. Polishing: Then, your hygienist will polish your teeth with a small dental tool that tickles your teeth as it passes over them. This process will leave a gritty feeling in your mouth, but it will disappear once you rinse your mouth with cool, refreshing water.
3. Flossing: Next, your hygienist will floss between each tooth, freeing any excess food or substance that is stuck there. This is a great technique that deeply cleans the hard-to-reach places in your mouth, like under and around a permanent retainer.
4. Fluoride Treatment: When your mouth is completely cleaned, your hygienist will give you a flavored fluoride treatment that will be in the form of a foam, gel, or varnish. Once it is placed in your mouth, you will be asked to wait for a few minutes. As you wait, the minerals will soak into your teeth and will nourish and strengthen them. This is a very beneficial treatment because it gives your teeth the ability to fight bacteria, decay, and infection.
5. X-Rays: To conclude the appointment, your dentist will come into the room and help your hygienist take x-rays of your oral cavity. When the images develop, your dentist will examine them and identify any problems you have. If there are noticeable issues, your dentist will begin treatment right away. If your smile is healthy and strong, your dentist will congratulate and praise you.
If you would like more details about your dental cleaning and what is involved in the process, we invite you to call our office today. We look forward to helping you reach your oral health goals!